United States passport holders, US citizens must have a valid passport and a visa (or pre-approval for a visa on arrival) to enter Vietnam. Their passport must be valid for six months beyond thier planned stay, and they must have at least one blank visa page.
Vietnam now allows several visa options for U.S. citizens from one month, single-entry tourist visas to one year, multiple-entry visas. U.S. citizens now have the following tourist visa options:
One month, single-entry
- You are allowed one entry into Vietnam and your stay may last up to one month.
One month, multiple-entry
- You are allowed to enter and exit Vietnam several times within a one month period.
Three months, single-entry
- You are allowed one entry into Vietnam and your stay may last up to three months.
Three months, multiple-entry
- You are allowed to enter and exit Vietnam several times within a three-month period.
Six months, multiple-entry
- You are allowed to enter and exit Vietnam several times within a six-month period. You may only stay up to 3 months per entry.
One year, multiple-entry
- You may enter and exit Vietnam several times within a one-year period. You may only stay up to 3 months per entry.
Currently, there are three ways for US citizen to obtain a tourist Visa to Vietnam:
- Visa in advance at Vietnam Embassy / Consulate in USA or in the country they travel. Please check http://vietnamembassy-usa.org/content/visa-application-process for more information
- Vietnam e-visa at the official website of Vietnam Immigration authority. https://evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn/web/guest/trang-chu-ttdt
- Visa on arrival upon arrival airport in Vietnam.
For the visa at Embassy / Consulate, US citizen can apply in person, by mail, e-mail or online and get loose-leaf visa by mail or email. Processing time takes 3 working days and can be expedited for one working days with additional fee.
Notice: Vietnamese nationals residing abroad indefinitely, their spouses, and their children may apply for a Certificate of Visa Exemption. The certificate has a maximum validity of five years, during which time the holder can enter Vietnam and stay for up to six months without applying for a visa.
If your U.S. passport is lost or stolen in Vietnam, you will need both a replacement passport and a replacement Vietnamese visa in order to legally remain in and depart Vietnam. The U.S. Embassy in Hanoi and the Consulate General in Ho Chi Minh City can usually issue you a limited validity replacement passport in as little as one business day for emergency purposes; however, the Vietnamese government requires three to five working days to issue a replacement visa. The U.S. Embassy and the Consulate General cannot expedite the replacement of your Vietnamese visa. Visit them at https://vn.usembassy.gov/
Please note that when you receive your visa, kindly double check all personal information printed on your visa.
In case of inaccurate personal information, please contact directly at your visa application for correction or adjustments (fees may be applied for amendments of visas due to applicants’ inadvertent errors).