Vietnam visa for us citizen
All US citizens need a visa to enter Vietnam for business or leisure trips. Note: US citizens visiting Vietnam under a 1-year tourist visa must leave the country after every 90 days of stay. US citizens visiting Vietnam under a 1-year business visa must leave the country after every 6 months of stay. Source: vietnam-visa.com
Then, Vietnam visa is a must for US citzens willing to travel to Vietnam.
How to apply a Vietnam visa
There are popularly 3 different ways to get a Vietnam visa
Visa on arrival
In brief, Vietnam visa-on-arrival is a process of obtaining the pre-approved visa letter (visa approval letter) through a travel agency in Vietnam to check in at the departure airport and pick up the actual visa stamp at an international airport in Vietnam upon arrival. Source: myvietnamvisa.com
Visa on arrival is also known as landing visa. Travelers will need a visa approval before their flight to Vietnam. This approval is a type of official document issued by Vietnam immigration granted for people with thier personal details on getting visa stamp when they land in Vietnam airport. Check out how to apply online here
Visa at Vietnam embassy / Consulate oversea
I. You can apply for a visa to Viet Nam in person, by mail, online or by e-mail.
1. Apply in person at the Embassy of Viet Nam, 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036 (walk-in, no prior appointment is required; from 9:00 A.M to 12:00 A.M and 02:00 P.M to 04:30 P.M from Monday to Friday, except holidays) or Apply by mail to the Embassy of Viet Nam, 1233 20th Street NW, Suite 400, Washington, D.C. 20036 and receive your visa by mail – Click here.
2. Apply online and receive loose-leaf visa by mail – Click here. (For United States Passport Holders only; payment by Paypal)
3. Apply by email and receive loose-leaf visa by mail – Click here. (Payment by credit/debit card)
Notice: For Vietnamese holding a US Permanent Resident Card (also referred to as “Green Card”), you can apply for a Visa Exemption Certificate (click here), also known as “Viet Nam 5-year visa”.
II. Processing time
Standard: 3 business days (after all required documents are submitted).
Expedite service: 24-hour processing time (additional fee is required). Kindly put an Expedite service or URGENT note/label on your envelope or in your application package for easier processing.
III. Other important notices
* Upon receiving your visa issued by the Embassy, kindly double check all personal information printed on your visa. In case of inaccurate personal information, please contact the Embassy immediately for correction or adjustments (fees may be applied for amendments of visas due to applicants’ inadvertent errors).
* For diplomatic and official passport holder, you can apply in person or by mail (online or email application is not applicable). Diplomatic and official visas will be issued GRATIS (free of charge) unless otherwise agreed upon between Viet Nam and the applicant’s country. In addition to documents specified in Part I, the applicant is requested to submit a visa approval number, a diplomatic note, or an official letter from the relevant agencies of the United States Government, Diplomatic Missions and international organizations accredited to the United States.
* The cost for visa includes visa approval fee, processing and handling fee, postal service and expedite service (if required). Visa fees vary depending on type of visa, duration of stay and type of service (standard or expedite). Please contact the Consular Division for further information.
* If you travel in a group: combined payment can be made in one money order or check for the whole group (two applicants or more). All applications can be sent in one envelope and the visas can be sent back in one return envelope.
* Duration of stay: visa will be valid from the date of entry provided on your application and printed on the visa. You may enter ON or AFTER the date of entry given on the visa and is expected to leave before the end of the expiration date.
* For travelers with 12-month visa: The Customs and Border Protection Authority at the port of entry into Vietnam determines the length of each authorized stay within the 12-month duration. Source: vietnamembassy-usa.org
This way to get Vietnam visa is not the same at every Embassy / Consulate. So we recommend to double check the procedures, visa fees, timing … directly with Embassy / Consulate where you want to apply.
Vietnam E-visa online
An electronic visa (E-visa) is one of visa types issued to foreigners by Vietnamese Immigration Department via electronic system. Vietnam E-visa is valid for maximum of 30 days, single entry.
Outside Vietnam foreigners who want to enter Vietnam can personally apply for E-visa or through the inviting/guaranteeing agencies and organizations.
E-visa fee is paid via electronic payment gateway as prescribed by the Immigration Department. The fee will not be refunded if the application is refused.
List of Countries that allowed E-visa issuing.
List of Ports that allowed foreigners enter and exit Vietnam by E-visa.
Conditions for being granted e-visa:
- Outside Vietnam foreigners;
- Holding valid passport;
- Not falling into the cases of suspension from entry prescribed in Article 21 of Law on foreigners’ entry into, exit from, transit through, residence in Vietnam. Source: evisa.xuatnhapcanh.gov.vn
Vietnam evisa is for tourist purpose and this type of visa valid for only 30 days with single entry. Travelers can enter / exit Vietnam at any international border gate.
Vietnam visa Rules
US Consulate in Ho Chi Minh city
The U.S. Consulate General Ho Chi Minh City is located at 4 Le Duan Blvd., District 1 in Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. Telephone: +84-28-3520-4200. Please mail requests for meetings with the Consul General and other Consulate officials to 4 Le Duan Blvd., District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam.
Note: The U.S. Consulate cannot answer questions about visas and other consular services via phone or postal mail. For consular-related questions, please find contact information at the following sites: American Citizen Services, Immigrant Visas, or Nonimmigrant Visas. Source: US Consulate
US Embassy in Hanoi
The U.S. Embassy Hanoi is located at No 7 Lang Ha Street, Ba Dinh District in Hanoi, Vietnam. Hours of operation are Monday – Friday, 8:00am to 5:00pm. You may contact the Embassy switchboard at +84-24-3850-5000. Source: US Embassy
You can contact US Consulate or US Embassy whenever you have trouble with your trip in Vietnam.